Thursday, July 9, 2009

Vacation Reading


I'm headed up north to a cabin for a week. (In Minnesota, this is what you do in summer.) And, of course, I'm bringing a load of books with me to read. Two books are on the top of my pile.

THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, by Stieg Larsson. The paperback just came out and has been flying off the shelves at Micawber's. Tom read the galley long ago and loved it. He has been talking it up ever since. I started the first few pages to get a feel for it. And I can tell it's going to be good. The only thing that made me stop was the fact that once I really get into it (Tom warns) I won't be able to put it down. So, I'm waiting till I get up north and find a comfy chair.

It's a mystery set in Larsson's native Sweden. But don't let any ideas about stoic northerners worry you. This is a thriller, not a "cozy" as we say. It's definitely on the gritty side and very smart. Larsson died shortly after delivering the trilogy of manuscripts. According to his bio, Larsson was a "leading expert on antidemocratic right-wing extremist and Nazi organizations." It makes me wonder how he really died.

For those of you who have already read Larsson's book and are eager for #2. Your wait will be short-lived. THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE comes out July 28.

The second book on my pile is a YA novel, FIRE, by Kristin Cashore. I mentioned it in my Fall Novel blog but it's worth mentioning again. I loved GRACELING, Cashore's first novel and I recommend it to every 14 + girl who walks through our doors. FIRE is a prequel set in the same universe as GRACELING with one common character. I can only guess who it is. But I'm thinking it might be the "bad guy" from GRACELING.

For those of you who want to check out GRACELING, it comes out in paperback this September. But if you just can't wait, we still have a couple hardcover copies at the store. FIRE will be officially released on October 5, 2009. But I'm going to read it now. Ahhh, the pleasures of working at a bookstore and getting to read the books early!

Whatever is on your stack of Vacation Reading, have fun and don't forget your sunscreen.

3 comments:

Reg / Steve said...

Hi Dara, glad to hear the books are flying off the shelves. FYI, Stieg probably died from working too hard combined with his 3-pack-a-day smoking habit. That day he went to work and the elevator wasn't working, so he had to trek up to the 7th floor on foot. Although he was always wary of the numerous death threats he received from neo-Nazis and other racists and misogynists, and was careful not to link his partner Eva in any official documents (which are open to public view in Sweden). Unfortunately he died intestate so according to Sweden's lack of common-law marriage regulations, his blood relatives from whom he was estranged inherited everything, including all his literary rights, even though they had not a whit to do with producing the books. Eva Gabrielsson is writing a book entitled "The Year After Stieg" right now, and I for one can't wait to read the whole sordid story. Enjoy that comfy chair, and greetings from Albuquerque (98°)!

Dara Dokas said...

Thank you, Reg, for that insight into Stieg Larsson. I did not know about the smoking or the 7 floor hike. I did hear that there was trouble between Stieg's relatives and Eva. We'll have to wait for the book from Eva! Thanks again for the comment!

Reg / Steve said...

Eva keeps me informed!