Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

I have finally come up for air. I finished THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO this afternoon. It is good. Very good!

Larsson has created an intriguing, smart, gritty mystery that is almost impossible to put down. Once I started, I couldn't stop. I had to know what was going to happen. My family and I are on vacation. I think they were starting to wonder if I would ever join them in activities.

I'm in northern Minnesota, almost to Canada. Today is a bit dreary. We are one of very few people on this lake. We are surrounded by woods and water. Basically, the environment around me is about as Swedish as you can get in the continental United States. The perfect setting to read THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO.

I wish Larsson was alive today. I wish I could ask him some questions. (I have many.) The best I can do is dive into the second book, THE GIRL WHO PLAYED WITH FIRE. Which, luckily for me, comes out very soon.

If you enjoy a well-written, intelligent mystery that does not shy away from tough topics, this is the book you must read. For added affect, you might want to go to a Boreal forest and wait for rain. The experience will be very satisfying.

2 comments:

SK said...

This sounds like a great book. I wonder why the title? I also wonder what events or reasons in one's life helps them decide to get a tattoo.

Again, I am enjoying Ms. Dokas' ideas about books (and am enjoying reading some of her own)!

Dara Dokas said...

Personally, I got my sun tattoo on my foot because I NEED sun and winter gets mighty long in Minnesota. My sun tattoo reminds me that there's sun shining somewhere all the time. Plus, it looks cool with sandals!