Monday, July 20, 2009

Fire


While on vacation last week, I had the pleasure of reading an advance copy of FIRE by Kristin Cashore. This Young Adult novel is a companion book to GRACELING, which came out last year. I loved GRACELING so I was very eager to read FIRE. Cashore did not disappoint.

I immensely enjoy the world Cashore has created. It is medieval-like with castles, long bows and horses to ride. Her female characters (in both books) are very unique, yet believable. They both struggle with immense power. They also have weaknesses. In the end, both lead female characters have to come to terms with who they are and how they use their power.

Fire, the main character in FIRE, is called a "Monster" and can control people's minds. Her main struggle is how to use (or not use) her ability. I love the description of Fire and wish I could see her "in real life."

Another hallmark of Cashore's two novels is the romantic tension. The developing relationship between Fire and Prince Brigan is intense and believable. Cashore does not shy away from sex (although it's not explicit), so her books are definitely for the teen (and up) reader.

There is only one character that is in both novels. GRACELING and FIRE are companion books set in the same world, but you don't need to read one before the other. The only thing I will say about the one common character is that I intensely hate him. This, of course, means that Cashore has done an excellent job creating him.

I highly recommend both GRACELING and FIRE for any teen and older reader who enjoys medieval type fantasy with unique characters and strong female leads. Both books are well worth the read!

(FIRE comes out October 5, 2009. GRACELING comes out in paperback September 7, 2009.)

No comments: