Wednesday, January 7, 2009

It's a New Year!


Whew!  It's January and I survived my first "holiday season" at the bookstore.  December was quite a rush - of activity and excitement.  I am happy to report that people still bought books as gifts.  The way I figure it, in this economy, people still wanted to give some kind of gift to loved ones.  The book lovers will always buy books.  But perhaps this year some of the former "big-screen TV purchasers" opted for a good book instead.  Whatever the reason, we were kept busy at Micawber's in December and I am happy for it.

Now we are into January and the pace of things has slowed down.  After any rushed, exciting time, it's nice to have a little quiet time to regroup.  So, I too will regroup.  I have been quite lax in my blogging as of late.  For that, I apologize.  With any new year comes New Year's Resolutions.  So here is my online resolution.  In addition to cutting back on caffeine, exercising more, and watching fewer episodes of Law & Order, I resolve to be a consistent blogger.  I will blog every week on Wednesday.  (And if I have a little something extra to say, I'll add it on another day.)  So, let the New Year Begin!

This Saturday at Micawber's is the second installment of our "Second Saturdays" children's book event series that I created for the bookstore.  Each "Second Saturday" has a theme and features a children's author &/or illustrator.  This Saturday, January 10 has a "Pets" theme. David LaRochelle will read from his award-winning book, The Best Pet of All.  He will also lead the group in creating an original "Castle Story."  I have seen him do this activity and it is great!  In addition, we'll have treats and a special guest appearance by my dog, Lucia.  Lucia will be our representative "pet" and will graciously allow all the little kids to brush, pet and hug her. That reminds me that I need to make a grooming appointment for Lucia this week.  (She smells BAD!  We don't want to scare the little children away.)

On the writing front, I have News - News - News!

The publication of my picture book, Muriel's Red Sweater, is fast approaching.  The big day is February 5, 2009!  That's less than a month.  Yikes!  My writing friend, Laura Purdie Salas, and I got together today to work on marketing ideas for our upcoming books.  Laura's picture book, Stampede, comes out April 10, 2009.  In addition to hatching plans for our individual books, we have been brainstorming ways to promote our books together.  Working together on marketing and promotion over the last several months has been a great way to expand our ideas, be creative and have some fun while we're at it.  Look for future announcements on our upcoming book appearances together.

Have a great week and see you next Wednesday!



1 comment:

laurasalas said...

Yea! It's getting close on Muriel's Red Sweater! Woot!

(And Stampede's pub date is April 6--even sooner than the 10th. Yikes.)

Am so excited about our joint plans. Will be emailing some info to you soon.