Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Hello From Florida

I'm writing today from sunny Florida!  My daughter and I are down here for the week taking a break from sub-zero temperatures.  But before you start thinking we are lounging pool side or wading in the Gulf, let me tell you a few things.  It is COLD here in Florida this week.  I know cold is all very relative.  In comparison to Minnesota, it's practically balmy at 50 degrees.  But gimme a break, 50 degrees in Florida!

January is a great month for discounts and fewer tourists, but there's no guarantee the weather will be in the 70's and 80's.  Go in March if you want to be sure.  But, despite the relative coolness, Juliana and I are having a great time.  Monday we went to the Ringling Museum and estate.  We had the uber-tour of the entire Ringling Mansion and it was amazing!  Also, on the veranda we saw a famous person being protected by four, foreign-speaking body guards.  The "person-in-need-of-protecting" was a very tall, beautiful blond woman with her two little blond boys.  I did not catch enough of the conversation to figure out what language they were speaking and when I ventured closer for a better listen, one of the body guards gave me a serious stare-down.  I backed off.   So, we probably saw a princess of some northern European country, but I can't say for sure.  

Yesterday, we went for a freezing tour of the Myakka State Park.  We did not see a single alligator because it was too dang cold.  They were all deep in the water trying to stay warm. We did see many birds including Osprey, Egrets, Great Blue Herons and Black Vultures.  The park's wild pigs and bobcats were also in hiding that day.

We'll be here till Saturday and the weather report is promising.  It should be 70 by Friday.  So, we may get one day by the pool or on the beach.  Only time will tell.  Until next week, Adieu. And stay warm!

1 comment:

laurasalas said...

Shoot, I was hoping you'd have sunny and 80s to toast yourself on up to survive the rest of our Minnesota winter. Oh well, hope you girls had a good time!