Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It's Cold Outside!

It is very, very cold here in Minnesota this week.  Tonight it will be 20 below zero.  And that's not even with wind chill.  All week it's been below zero most of the day. This is bad news for several reasons.  Micawber's, as you know, is an old, wonderful shop.  But, those ancient radiators just aren't up for the job on days like today. In other words, it's COLD in the store. 

Today, a customer brought in four of those instant hand warmer things that you put in your boots while skiing or in your pockets at football games.  Well, I cracked one of those babies open and had it in my pocket all day long.  I think the customer brought them in as a joke, but not really.  You know it's bad when customers not only leave their coats on but their hats and mittens too.

Another negative aspect of this super-cold weather is the fact that my dog, Lucia, refuses to go pee outside.  She doesn't want to put her little tushy down near the cold snow.  So, she holds it and holds it.  Luckily, she does not pee in the house, but I'm sure she's going to develop a bladder infection one of these cold days.  When I finally get her outside, we walk around and around in the freezing cold.  She starts walking on three legs and limping.  It's truly pitiful.  I try to explain to her that the quicker she goes, the quicker she gets back into the nice, warm house. But for some reason, she doesn't seem to get this logic. 

Speaking of Lucia, my dog made a guest appearance at our "Second Saturday" children's book event last Saturday at the store.  Children's author & illustrator, David LaRochelle, was at Micawber's reading his great book, THE BEST PET OF ALL.  The theme of the day was "pets" so Lucia was our representative pet.  She graciously let the children brush her and pet her and give her treats.  (I'm sure the treat-eating part was very difficult for her.)  The event was a success.  David did a wonderful job speaking to the group and he illustrated a "castle story" right on the spot with the kids.  It was a lot of fun!

Next Wednesday, I'll be writing from someplace warm and sunny.  No, not in my imagination. My daughter and I are running away to Florida for a week.  I need to thaw out a bit before I can face the rest of winter.  So, as long as I can find WiFi somewhere, there will be a blog post.

Parting thought - stay warm, people.  It's cold outside!

1 comment:

laurasalas said...

Ha! Have fun in Florida. I know y'all will have a spectacular time!