Monday, November 3, 2008

What Time Change?

I consider myself to be a fairly with-it person.  I'm generally very organized, can multi-task and stay "on top of the ball."  Then something happens - like tonight - that reminds me that I am not infallible.  In fact, sometimes I do something that's just plain dumb.

We all know that as of Sunday, Daylight Savings Time ended and we all turned our clocks back 1 hour.  Like the "with-it" person I am, I reset all the clocks in our house, including the microwave and answering machine.  But, apparently there was one clock I forgot to change - my wristwatch.

Tonight, I closed the bookstore an hour early by mistake.  I shut the door and locked it at exactly 8 pm (according to my wristwatch.)  I shut off the lights, ran the reports and took out the trash.  I was very efficient and orderly.  On my way home, I called my husband.  He said, "Why are you coming home?  It's only 7:30."  I was astounded.  I hate messing up.  But, I do.  And I did.

Being an honest (and embarrassed) person, I called Tom, one of the owners, and confessed.  He laughed and told me to forget about going back.  There wasn't much I could do at that point.  I felt like a fool.  I was a fool.  But, luckily I work for and with great people.  Even the most "with-it" person messes up from time to time.

Well, you can probably guess that my wristwatch now displays the accurate time.  I am, once again, a totally organized, multi-tasking wiz!  (That is, until I make another silly mistake.)


2 comments:

laurasalas said...

Oh no! Sounds completely like something I'd do. And somehow, when you're the kind of person everyone sees as organized, responsible, on top of it, etc., those occasional dumb things (I did one yesterday, in fact!) seem even bigger than they are.

Hooray for understanding bosses:>)

Dara Dokas said...

I'm so glad you understand. It was quite embarrassing to realize what I'd done. Although, getting home an hour early was quite nice. Take care.