Sunday, November 2, 2008

Friends - Old and New

Yesterday at the bookstore, I reconnected with an old friend that I haven't seen since I was 9 years old.  Working at Micawber's has provided me with surprising chances to reconnect with old friends.  And it certainly has brought in many new friends as well.

Our local paper, The Bugle, started a new series called "The People in Your Neighborhood." Each month, they will highlight a local business and someone who works there.  So, that person who routinely serves me a Mocho IceCrema at Dunn Brothers might actually be an up and coming singer and I just didn't know it.  (This, in fact, is true.  And I will die young if I keep ordering IceCremas.) Or, it will be fun to learn how Jeff at The Little Wine Shop got so knowledgeable about wine and beer.

The new series began in November and featured our bookstore, Micawber's.  I was the one working when Dave showed up to do the article.  Thus, I am featured, along with Micawber's. It's been fun having people I've known for years comment on the article.  "Fun story."  "When's your book coming out?"  "I didn't know you grew up here." But it's also been interesting to have people I don't know come into the shop and say, "You're Dara.  I saw you in The Bugle."  New friends to be sure.  One person even said I was a "local celebrity." That's a bit much.  But if it brings new people into the store to say, "Hi," and check out our books, then great.

But the best part is that the article brought in a very unexpected friend.  My childhood pal, Tanya, was in town visiting her father when she saw the Bugle article.  Tanya and I haven't seen each other since we were in 4th grade, but when she walked into Micawber's yesterday afternoon I completely recognized her face.  It's funny how we change and we don't.  We hugged each other.  I met her husband and little boy.  We reminisced about singing together in choir and playing at each other's houses.  It was great to reconnect with a friend from so long ago. And it was because of the store and the story.

Having worked at the bookstore for almost three months now, I have met many new friends. People who come in regularly and those who stop in just now and again.  I've enjoyed learning their names and a little bit about them.  One man spent a good half hour telling me about his trip to Alaska on a cruise ship.  It was a quiet afternoon and he talked and talked.  Finally, when another customer arrived, he said goodbye and left.  I am sad to say that I never learned his name.  So, the next time he comes in to look at the big Titanic book in the front window, I'll start things out right and say, "Hi.  I'm Dara.  Welcome back to Micawber's."

No comments: