Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Let it Snow!

Yes, there is snow on the ground here in Minnesota.  When I woke up this morning, the world had turned white with an inch of heavy, wet snow covering the grass, branches and my neighbor's garage roof.  I wasn't sure how to feel about it actually.  In one way, I hate snow because it means Winter is truly here (for the next 6 months).  It means shoveling, wetness, and mucky roads.  But newly fallen snow also means pure, clean beauty.  It means watching my daughter and my dog frolicking in the fluffy stuff.  It means ice skating and sledding soon to come.  I am all for snow - eventually.  Just not too early.

What does snow and winter mean for me at Micawber's?  Our little neighborhood does winter well.  The area around the bookstore is beautiful in all seasons, but in winter the lights come on and it twinkles at night.  With dark coming so early, a little twinkle is nice.  And inside the store, it is getting cozy.  The colder and wetter it is outside, the warmer and more welcoming it feels inside.  I have already heard customers sigh when they enter the store.  They shake off the chill, or the rain drops, and breathe deep.  For a time, they are in a warm, safe place filled with books and light and soft music.  There are comfy chairs next to floor lamps to sit in.  The store invites you to get comfortable and stay for awhile.

This is my first winter working at Micawber's, but I think I'm going to like it.  Being inside with all those books while it snows and blows outside, will be comforting indeed.  And luckily for me, there's a coffee shop right across the street that makes great hot chocolate.  Let it snow!

No comments: