Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Muriel's Red Sweater


Tomorrow is the official release date for Muriel's Red Sweater!  I am very excited about the publication of my second picture book.  It feels like a very long time in coming for my book "baby."  And it has been.

Many years ago, I woke up in the middle of the night with an idea for this book.  I already knew I wanted to write a "circle story" where the main character starts and ends in the same physical place but with some big change. But I didn't know what the story would be.  It was my dream that got me started.  I dreamt about a duck who was so distracted that she didn't notice her sweater unraveling as she ran around town.  That was the beginning.

Now, many years (and many revisions) later, Muriel - that original duck - is finally appearing in the world.  And we are going to help her celebrate!  There will be a publication party at Micawber's this Saturday, February 7 at 2:00 pm to kick off the book's release.

I am pleased to say that Muriel's Red Sweater has already gotten some good attention.  Kirkus Review wrote, "Dokas provides a mystery for the youngest set to unravel . . . (it is) a pleasure for honing observation skills."

If you like a good picture book mystery, check it out!  It's a fun, colorful, detailed book that I believe kids (and adults) will enjoy reading over and over.  Hooray!

4 comments:

tanyagul said...

Very exciting news about your latest book release; wish I could be at the party too! Congrats!!

Linda Dokas said...

Dara,

Mom and Dad Dokas say "Congratulations!" We wish we could be at Macawber's tomorrow afternoon.

Dara Dokas said...

Thanks for the Congrats! I wish you could be there too!

laurasalas said...

Dara, your book launch rocked! You were great, and of course Muriel's a star. Congrats!