Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Poetry and Tattoos

Last night, at Micawber's, we had a poetry reading by Raymond McDaniel.  He read from his new collection, Saltwater Empire, published by Coffee House Press.  McDaniel teaches at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor which is my alma mater.  It was fun to talk "U of M" with him.  But I could tell from his wee-bit of an accent (and the fact that he said "Ya'all") that he was not a Michigan native.  Turns out he is originally from the Florida Panhandle and has lived several places in the south, including New Orleans.  My favorite of his poems where his first person poems from the voice of displaced persons after Hurricane Katrina.  Very moving.

But he also had lots of anecdotes about his own life.  One in particular caught my attention. Where he grew up there was a tattoo parlor that brilliantly advertised "Tattoos while you wait."  Now, I don't know about you, but I'd like to see a permanent tattoo done while you didn't wait.  So, I started thinking about tattoos.  Full disclosure for all my readers - Bookshop Gal has a tattoo.  I never intended to have a tattoo.  But, when I turned 40 I decided a tattoo was what I needed for my new decade.  (The real deal is that I couldn't afford a sports car.)  So, now I have a sun tattoo on my right foot.  And let me tell you, it hurt like a son-of-a-gun.  I was waiting alright.  And waiting.  And waiting for it be over.   I might sound like a wimp, but I was truly concentrating on not passing out.  So, when I turn 50 I might just have to get the sports car instead.

You all know we sell books at Micawber's, but what you might not know is that we also sell tattoos.  Yes, we do.  We sell lots of these little Dover books for $1.50 each.  Some have little stories, some stickers, and apparently others have temporary tattoos.  The way I found out is through a customer.  She recently turned 50 and wanted a permanent tattoo.   After further consideration, she decided against it.  But, she still wanted a tattoo.  She found the answer at our shop.  The Dover tattoo books have flowers and designs - things an adult might want to paste on her body.  No SpongeBob SquarePants or Thomas the Train tattoos at our store!  So, every month she comes in to buy a new book of tattoos and puts a new one on her ankle each week.  It's an ever-changing, non-permanent tattoo.  Not like a sun on the foot.

So, if you've been considering a tattoo but aren't sure about the permanency or pain factors, I recommend checking out the little Dover tattoo books.  They could be just the thing you're looking for.  And you can try one on yourself "while you wait."

1 comment:

SK said...

I have seen Ms. Dokas' book at borders and own a copy. It is fabulous. I can't wait for more to come out. I have also seen the sun tattoo which is also fabulous.

I applaud her for her flare with words.

- Sandra Kreger, Ann Arbor, MI