Monday, October 20, 2008

Bookshop Gal Begins

Welcome to my blog.  I began my career as a bookseller in August 2008, just a couple months ago.  I'm a children's picture book author and a former English and drama teacher.  I'm thrilled to be working at Micawber's Books, the bookshop in my neighborhood.  What a great way to see several sides of the book world - writing, buying and selling.  And in my few short months of bookselling, I've noticed many curious things about working at a small, independent bookstore.  I've met loads of wonderful (and interesting) people and I've unpacked even more boxes filled with great books.  So, I wanted to share my thoughts and observations with you.

We are a small bookshop with a long history.  Micawber's has been around for over 30 years. The current owners have owned Micawber's for 5 + years.  There are only four regular booksellers.  Tom and Hans, the owners.  Karen and myself.  And, occasionally Tommy and Maura help out.  Since it's so small, we do it all.  Unpack, shelve, help customers find books, sell books using the finicky register, order books, call customers, set up displays, visit with everyone who walks through our door, vacuum, dust and take out the trash.  I even had to remove the poor dead bird (my first casualty) after he flew in and crashed into the front window.

For those of you who think working at a bookstore includes loads of time to lounge around and read, think again.  This is one of the most physical jobs I've ever had.  (And I've been an Elementary Teacher.)  It's also one of the most rewarding jobs I've ever had.

I'll reveal all (well almost all) in my blog so you can be a part of the bookshop too.  Like Cheers, it's a place where everyone (well at least Tom, Hans and Karen) knows your name.  I'm still learning customer's names and the job of being a bookseller.  Come along for the ride as I begin this new adventure.

2 comments:

sjp123 said...

Looking forward to reading about the life and times of bookshop Gal!

SanjLemonJello

Anonymous said...

Congrats, Dara! I look forward to following your posts!