Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Rockin and Rollin

Things have been Rockin and Rollin at the bookstore lately.

Things had better be Rockin and Rollin this time of year, or there's trouble.

Small, independent bookstores make a huge portion of their income during the holiday season. It's really very fun and amazing to see.

Grandparents looking for books for their grandkids. Adults choosing books for their parents. Kids picking up the book they want for Christmas and saying, "It's here. This is the one!"

Since I'm the main kid book buyer, I love helping people pick out the "perfect" book for their child, grandchild, niece, nephew, neighbor, etc.

We all have our favorite books that we love to hand-sell. But, I try to listen closely before making any suggestions.

What age is the child?
What does he/she like to read?
What about fantasy? Sports?
What would you say the child's reading level is? Beginning? Advanced?
What about content? Can he/she handle some scary stuff?
and on and on.

Then, with this information, I create a picture of the child in my mind. And try to pick out the "perfect" book to suggest.

1 comment:

Kristi Pohl said...

And I bet you are REALLY good at it! I adore books, but especially children's books. Even as an adult, I go back and read some of my favorites now and then (Little Women, The Secret Garden, The Five Little Peppers and How they Grew...). What a fun job this time of year!