Friday, November 18, 2011

Tuck Everlasting



Tuck Everlasting, by Natalie Babbitt was one of my favorite middle-grade novels when I was growing up.

It has magic, romance, danger and a little philosophy. Although, what I really liked at the time was the little romance.

Winnie Foster is a ten year-old girl who is sheltered and mostly left alone. She meets the Tuck family, who drank from a magic spring and will now live forever.

A stranger shows up wanting to find the magic spring and market it for his own gain. And the Tuck's are in danger.

In the end, Winnie must decide if she will drink from the spring and live forever. Or will she choose to live a regular, finite life?

What would it mean to live forever? Babbitt subtly asks, "Is this a gift or a curse?"

The reader is the one who must decide.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved this book when I was growing up too. My friends and I would often play Tuck Everlasting pretending to be characters from the book and finding magical streams.

Dara Dokas said...

That is awesome! I love the idea of looking for magical streams. I still want to do that!