Sunday, October 4, 2009

Rochester Barnes & Noble


As an independent bookseller, I tend to avoid shopping at chain book stores like Barnes & Noble. Sometimes I'll go there to check out a particular section, but I go back to Micawber's - the independent bookstore where I work - to buy or order a book. But, this past weekend I saw the coolest Barnes & Noble in America and I had to share a photo with you.

The Barnes & Noble in Rochester, Minnesota is well worth a visit. It is situated in an old theater. Originally it was a live theater, then a movie theater with high domed ceilings. Then, a few years ago, some genius turned it into a unique, extremely cool B & N. This is not your run-of-the-mill, strip-mall type bookstore. With its high blue-sky ceiling, castle and medieval-like town buildings, and arches, it feels almost magical. The book arrangements and signage is typical B & N, but the overall feel is pretty amazing.

I was walking through the Rochester skyway on a rainy Friday, when BOOM, I entered this magical kingdom. I stopped in my tracks, took out my camera, and snapped some photos. The workers didn't seemed surprised. I bet they get a fair amount of that.

The overall affect was so surprising and delightful that it almost made me want to buy a book. Almost.

1 comment:

laurasalas said...

Cool! I was in a McDonald's in southern Minnesota with a cool rock and roll theme. Amazing what some paint and a few doodads on the wall can do to make a chain store stand out. Every shop should be trying to do this kind of thing.

And I love the whole castle feel. Pure escapism:>)