Friday, June 19, 2009

Summertime


It's summertime in Minnesota. Finally. Of course, when summer actually shows up, it arrives full steam ahead. And I mean steam! It's been humid lately. Maybe in comparison to say, the Rain Forest, it's not so bad. But, 80's and humid feels pretty darn hot.

At the store, we have two air conditioners, but I hate window air conditioners. It always feels closed in and stuffy. (I get enough of that all winter.) I want the windows and doors wide open! Let in that air, even if it comes with a little wetness. It reminds us that we are alive. We can sweat! We can feel heat. Our skin contains moisture. No need for hand lotion for at least a couple months. So what if we need 2 showers a day to cool off. This is good! I know there are people who disagree with me, but when you have 7 months of winter, a little heat feels good. Enjoy it people. It won't last long.

My parents live "Up North" in Minnesota, almost in Canada, all year round. My father likes to say, "We have two seasons up here. Winter and Winter's Coming." Laugh all you want, but it's too close for my comfort.

So, what does a Minnesotan do on a long, hot summer day? Find a good spot in the shade, with a beverage of your choice and READ! Right now I'm reading ANIMAL, VEGETABLE, MIRACLE by Barbara Kingsolver. It's a very good read. And inspiring. I feel the urge to shop at the Farmer's Market and raise chickens in my backyard. I kid you not. Ask my poor husband. Every spring, I get a hankerin for some live furry or feathery thing. A couple years ago, it was for chickens. Cute, colorful, pet-like (I hear) and dang!, you get fresh eggs every day! But, still there are no chickens in my backyard. My husband REALLY didn't go for the idea. The main reason - chicken poop. He is such an urbanite. So, I have settled for my own little garden. It's nowhere the size of Barbara's, but it should produce some produce. By the end of the summer, I'll be eating a big, yummy salad from my own garden while reading under a tree. Ahhhh, summer.

No comments: