Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Fan Mail

Yippee Skippee!  I got my first ever Fan Mail this week!  Granted, it was clearly an "assignment" given by a teacher.  But, none-the-less, it was still Fan Mail.

Last Sunday I did an author event at The Red Balloon bookstore in St. Paul.  It was a lot of fun. While I was there, I was given a packet of letters from the students of St. Paul Open School.  I used to work at St. Paul Open School many years ago as an English and drama teacher.  The elementary students at Open School recently read my book, MURIEL'S RED SWEATER, and then wrote to me about the book.

Here are a few of my favorite letters:

"Dear Dara,
Thank you for letting us read the book you wrote.  My favorite part was everything.  Love, R."  
(This letter included a big picture of a duck wearing a red sweater.)

"Dear Dara Dokas,
Thank you for the book.  It was funny when she was unraveled.  I can't believe I'm writing to a writer and really going to send it.  Sincerely, your friend, K."

"Dear Dara Dokas,
We read your book.  We was so happy because we like your book.  Best Friend Forever, S."

"Dear Dara,
I love your book and the pictures are so funny.  When I look at the pictures they make me laugh.  Thank you.  P."

"Dear Dara Dokas,
I really like your book: MURIEL'S RED SWEATER! By C."
(The picture at the bottom shows a big, happy sun and two people.  Over one person it says "me" and over the other it says "you.")

I could go on and on.  The letters were so sweet.  I'm writing a note back to the students at Open School to tell them how much I enjoyed their letters.  And I hope in school, they can write and illustrate books of their own!

It's at times like these when I feel so lucky to be a children's writer.  It can't get much better than that.

1 comment:

laurasalas said...

OMG, how fabulous are these, Dara. My favorite part is everything? Wow. And the excitement at really sending a note to a writer. These are too cute. Congratulations!