Fall is definitely here and so are many new children's books by Minnesota authors and illustrators!
Today I went to the store early. The kids' section has been getting out of control! So I rearranged the teen and middle grade books and created a new Minnesota table.
Here's a round up of some of the new kids' books by Minnesota authors and illustrators:
BIG BELCHING BOG by Phyllis Root, illustrated by Betsy Bowen.
- Great combination of Phyllis' writing style and Betsy's woodcut illustrations.
A FABULOUS FAIR ALPHABET by Debra Frasier.
- The Minnesota State Fair is over, but you can hang on to it all through Debra's book.
THE SNEAKY SHEEP by Chris Monroe.
- Chris Monroe, of Monkey With A Toolbelt fame, has done it again.
HENRY AND THE BULLY by Nancy Carlson.
- This summer I saw some of Nancy's illustrations at the Chicago Institute of Art. Way to go Nancy!
THE PRINCESS AND HER PANTHER by Wendy Orr, illustrated by Lauren Stringer.
- Lauren does a great job with this imaginative picture book.
ONE PUP'S UP by Marsha Wilson Chall, illustrated by Henry Cole.
- The perfect simplicity of Marsha's text makes me jealous and very happy for her!
Chapter Books and Novels:
MAMBA POINT by Kurtis Scaletta.
- Kurtis lived in Liberia for awhile as a kid so he knows what he's talking about. But, unlike the protagonist, Kurtis did not communicate with black mambas, which is a good thing. We're having a snakey MAMBA POINT event at the store on Saturday, October 30 at 11:00 am.
JULIA GILLIAN AND THE DREAM OF THE DOG by Alison McGhee.
- This is the third book in the Julia Gillian series which takes place in Minneapolis.
BINK AND GOLLIE by Kate DiCamillo and Alison McGhee, illustrated by Tony Fucile
- Just out, this fun collaboration between Kate and Alison is sure to be a hit!
THE BOOK OF ELSEWHERE: THE SHADOWS by Jacqueline West.
- This is the first book in a fun, new series.
MAGIC BELOW STAIRS by Caroline Stevermer.
- Here's a new Victorian fantasy for middle grade readers.
ELVIS AND OLIVE: SUPER DETECTIVES by Stephanie Watson.
- The two girl detectives are back with more mysteries to solve.
HAMSTER MAGIC by Lynne Jonell.
- Soon to be out. We're having a HAMSTER MAGIC event at the store on Saturday, October 16 at 11:00 am!
Wow! There are definitely a lot of great children's authors and illustrators from this state. If you're in the area, stop by Micawber's and check out our new display.